Thursday, July 7, 2011

(Mostly) Gone With The Wind Comments

I really want to write an Asian Rock Opera do. I just, really do. Based on The Orphan of Zhao. I've even got a couple of melodies written, if only I had better equipment to create mock-up tracks. It'd be badass, I promise. Also, if you're reading this via twitter, you can always subscribe via twitter, so I look like I have more readers... you know who you are.

Yay!
I saw 'Gone With The Wind' with Anj yesterday. Fuck me, that was absolutely the longest movie I've ever seen. And it was all over the place. I was sitting in the chair, and I just knew that 70 years ago when this came out, it must have been such a thrill. It's an absolute epic - the discourses of romance, death, patriotism, all set in the time of the war of the Confederate States. The film is hands down the most romantic and tragic thing I've ever seen in my life, tragedy after tragedy, with the 'heroine' having it all, losing it, building it up again, and then throwing it all away before she realises that was what she finally wanted. It seems appropriate to write some comments on it, since most people who read this blog probably haven't seen it.

For a film that has made a total of almost $3 billion, you'd pop it into the DVD with some high expectations. The stunning Vivien Leigh played the role of Scarlet O'Hara, a woman whose heart is cold as ice and is as calculating and scheming as a... snake? [I'm not sure why I'm bothering to come up with these glamorous adjectives and similes for this since it's so informal]. Clark Gable plays the charming and suave Rhett Butler, who keeps our sanity and connection to Scarlet throughout the film. The two of course have marvellous chemistry, but you spend most of the film disapproving of Scarlet's gold digging escapades, and feeling sorry for the lovely Melanie Hamilton (played by the ravishing Olivia de Havilland), Scarlet's best friend who she continuously undermines, mistreats, and takes advantage of her while scheming to steal her husband Ashley (Leslie Howard). They're joined by a cast of hundreds, but the best character is the strong independent black woman (just kidding, she's actually a servant, but she may as well be a beaaaast), a ferocious beast called Mammy (played by Hattie McDaniel). She's the secondary voice to keeping Scarlet's head out of the clouds, and she manages to transform her blasé stereotypical role during a time of much racism and hatred towards her race and becomes a personification of the human spirit on screen.
Like a boss.
I was going to write more about the annoying kid that disobeys her parents and decapitates (read: falls off) herself from her horse, but I think I can summarise it by saying "Kids, do what your parents tell you to or you will die". There was also this bat-shit craaaazy bitch called 'Prissy' who walked around wailing in the most unbearable tone that I moaned in pain whenever she walked on stage.

Anyway, the representation of the glory of the Confederate States was wonderful and the grandeur of the time was fully captured in the picture. It's a beautiful, wonderful film that I recommend you sit down and watch with someone you're close to. I honestly don't think I could have handled it on my own, but having Anj there we were able to laugh at some of the dated acting, the genuinely funny bits, and at ourselves watching this mammoth piece. There are so many beautiful and inspirational moments in this film - when Scarlet stands up in the field and cries "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!" I got goosebumps (and now, just thinking about it) and of course, we have the infamous, tragic, but very deserving "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" from Rhett at the film's closing. I'm really proud to say I made the effort to watch it!
Probably what you though about this entire blog post.

THE END 
of the review 

In other news:
This bitch got away with killing her child:
What a reddd necckkkkk
For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, this is from 'Know Your Meme' database:
"Caylee Marie Anthony was born on August 9, 2005. She was last seen by her grandfather, George Anthony, on June 16, 2008. He said that he saw Caylee with her mother, Casey. Casey Anthony reported her missing on July 15, 2008, saying that she hadn’t seen her daughter for 31 days. She initially claimed that she left Caylee with her nanny, Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, and that when she went back to the apartment, Fernandez-Gonzalez was nowhere to be found, and the phone was out of service.

She later changed her story, claiming that Fernandez-Gonzalez and her sister kidnapped Caylee, and told her to tell authorities a false story, in exchange for Caylee’s safety. According to Wikipedia, her remains were not found till 6 months after her disappearance when her grandmother, Cindy Anthony, reported that she was missing.
"
She was found not guilty today and celebrated with the photo above. Amusing. So... pretty much...
The world is thinking that.
To sum up, Mum and Dad are going away for 6 months on Sunday, which terrifies me greatly. However, this time I pretty much got promoted to the head of the household over that time, since I'm in charge of shopping (read: we will eat good food and use soap that cost more than $1).


I'm going to see Saltimbanco with Rhed tomorrow so I'll post my first coherant review of a show in months. I'm disappointed that I had to cancel my reservation to see Colder - I just kept pushing it back and now it's come to it the only night I could go was tonight, and I had to stay at home and transform into the boss, so I didn't end up going. I'm disappointed, the cast and storyline looked to be really top notch, and independent theatre really needs to be seen. If you are interested in checking out Colder, you can book tickets at La Boite's Website.

I FINALLY DID SOME WORK ON THE BOOK. Jeez, about time, it's the whole reason I started this blog anyway. The two tasks were to write messily on one page, and the other was to look at the dots on the page, then close my eyes and connect them via memory. So let's see how I went.
Calcifer is sitting on the fridge... what musical is this song from, everyone?
When I started this I actually thought "HOW HARD COULD THIS BE LOL?". Touché, myself.
That's about all for tonight. Goodbye until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment